Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

choosing joy

with mister's arrival only three months away, my list of things to do and prepare for is getting longer.  its easy to get overwhelmed and loose focus on all the blessings and goodness in my life right now.  i will admit that i tend to be a very anxious person and usually decide that i have a plan that will fix everything.  i forget that God's plan is much better than mine.  i am so glad that i live in community with other Christ followers that remind me to breathe and have faith.


last week, i mentioned what best.day.ever. means to me and how i want to try and make every day my favorite.  i thought i would share with you some bible verses that, at this moment in my life, help me be content and joyful about where i am right now ... even if i am feeling overwhelmed and a little scared.  these verses inspire me to live daily for God and trust that he has a plan for me.   
nehemiah 6:9 - for they all wanted to frighten us, thinking, "their hands will drop for the work, and it will not be done."  but now, o God, strengthen my hands. 
matthew 6:33 - but seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. 
psalm 37: 3-5 - trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.  delight yourself in the Lord, and will give you the desires of your heart.  commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act.  
isaiah 41:10 - so do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. 
i hope that if any of you are feeling overwhelmed today, that these words stir something inside you.  i pray you are able to choose joy and contentment over fear and doubt.  how, you might ask.  how can one just choose to be something they are not?  i do not have all the answers, but here are a few suggestions that have helped me change my heart:
  • do something for someone else today instead of focusing on how your needs/wants will be met.
  • make a list of needs/wants that have been met in the past year. 
  • make a list of people in your life that are most encouraging to you ... call or text one of those people to thank them. 
  • make a list of people that you want to encourage ... call or text one of them and do just that. 
  • pray :)
source

3 comments:

  1. isaiah 41 is definitely one of my favorite verses. i always have it in a place that i see all the time so that i get a reminder when i need one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choose Joy- such a simple, yet powerful message. I think I'm going to get a print like this for my apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of those verses, especially Psalms. I tend to be a worrier too and have a bunch of verses that inspire hope bookmarked. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...