Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

i did it!!!

after henry was born i sat around and enjoyed him without any pressure to start working out yet.  breastfeeding was doing a pretty good job helping me loose the first bit of weight and i was still recovering from my c-section.  i finally decided i had to do something, so on january 1st, i began a 60 day, 3 level workout routine i found on pinterest.  i shared a lot of this with you when i told you about how much weight i had gained during my pregnancy and my plan to get fit.  

last night i completed my goal and it felt great.  i had to do a 1 hour jog, 100 jumping jacks, 50 sit ups and 45 reverse crunches.  husband and henry met me at a new trail that has an entrance at the art museum.  it was a great view and kept my attention so i didnt get bored.  the bad thing about running a new trail though, was that i did not know there was some crazy hills.  they slowed me down quite a bit and i had to take a second to compose myself at the top of two, but i did it.  the sun was going down so i finished up the last 10 minutes in parking lot.   



its crazy to think that when i started, i literally could not do one sit up, much less run for 10 minutes.  i know a lot of you out there might think this was a silly goal and its ridiculous that it took me 60 days to work up to that but oh well ... im kind of proud of myself.  i think this workout plan is awesome for anyone that needs to take baby steps to getting fit.  

whats next?  what happens when i dont have a sheet of paper to tell me what and when to do?  well, thanks to pinterest and youtube, there are so many options without joining a gym.  my new goal is to do at least two 30 min runs and one hour long run a week.  i will mix in some strength training and yoga about 3 times a week.  i will make sure that i have at least one rest day a week so i dont get burnt out.  creating some sort of schedule will help me stay motivated, but im looking forward to working out around my life instead of planning things around my workouts.  im hoping to improve on my running time and endurance and sign up for a 5k asap.  

anyone out there have a suggestion for yoga dvds for runners?  

7 comments:

  1. Hooray for you! I'm determined to finish too so we can go get our chicken & waffles :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I totally don't think it's ridiculous to work up to things! I couldn't do a pushup to save my life before starting the thirty day shred. I'm not perfect at it, but am getting better! Way to go! And thanks for being encouraging on my blog post! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! You SHOULD be proud! You go girl! Its great to hear about your journey, reminds me to keep kicking my own butt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I need to follow your exercise regimen. I am in the same boat - had a c-section and I am still feeling the after effects of it three months later! I have found a website that is amazing - it has free yoga videos :) Check it out here: http://www.doyogawithme.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't run (unless I'm being chased), but I don't mind other forms of cardio and weight training. If you're looking for a good DVD that has both (and abs), I definitely recommend The 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels (http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred/dp/B00127RAJY)

    It's a 20 minute workout + warm-up and cool-down. And trust me, she keeps you moving the entire time. And the best thing-- you need practically no space. I worked out in my living room-- which has about 8'x4' of open space. There are 3 levels-- your supposed to do 10 days of each (hence the "30 days"). As for hand weights, I used bottles of Castile soap that were about 2.5-3 lb each. (I bet you could make your own weights w/ water bottles and sand/rocks.)

    If you decide to join a gym and want something more intense-- look for one that offers Les Mills "Body Pump" (weight training) or "Body Step" (high intensity cardio). My Y started the Les Mills classes last fall and they will kick your butt. I love the Body Pump-- an hour of weight training that works every muscle group. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! I struggled with finding time to workout and making it a priority after having my baby. Then when She was 7 months we found out I was pregnant again so I have pretty much given up till after this one is born in June. I'm so envious of you right now. I would love a good sweaty hour long run right now...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...